"Period is blocked"?

Hi,

yesterday I’ve noticed that I was unable to make requests on BitQuery and I was getting error 403 (Forbidden error).

I’ve checked my profile and under the number of API calls I have left for the current period but I’ve noticed that I have the status “Period is blocked”.

It seems that I’ve been blocked from making further requests. Could someone please explain me?
Screenshot of my API calls available and the new status:

Kind regards,

PM

where are you trying to run your queries

Hm… you’ll need to be more specific. I am not sure whether you’re referring to a location, machine, operating system…

The problem is you created a query that was not optimized, that impacted our servers hence your account has been blocked that’s why this status

I guess this was relevant to a query that was getting transactions for a certain token for a specific day and time.

I noticed just yesterday, that for smartContractCalls query, even if I specify “date and time” e.g. “date: {since: 2022-03-22T20:30:00}”, it does not consider time at all, sometimes collecting more than 25000 transactions for that day alone.

Is there a problem with smartContractCalls? It was just recently that I’ve started getting such issues I believe.

But I cant be sure.
Could you give me any additional info on which query was the culprit here? I don’t remember getting any feedback on what was going on at all, I just got blocked :confused:

It’s an automatic bot that detects such activities blocks the user from performing any other queries

Please ping @gaurav_zen on telegram

Ok, I’ve pinged you right now.

Is there a way for me to see when I am impacting BitQuery servers too hard so that I can make sure myself that I won’t get blocked again in the future?

I am running some of my hobby crypto-related projects and I must admit that I am not a professional, but I want to learn more about how to handle such situations when using BitQuery.

Furthermore, will this “Period is blocked” status ever go away from my account or is some other action required from my side? UPDATE: I’ve just noticed that I do not have this status anymore. I guess due to a new active period start (on 28.03.2022) :slight_smile:
Though I would still appreciate any information on how can I make sure that my queries won’t impact your servers too hard again.

Is there a way for me to see when I am impacting BitQuery servers too hard so that I can make sure myself that I won’t get blocked again in the future?

If you running unoptimized queries then it’s a problem, to make sure the your queries are optimized then check Points of those queries on GraphQL IDE.

I am running some of my hobby crypto-related projects and I must admit that I am not a professional, but I want to learn more about how to handle such situations when using BitQuery.

Check points on your queries → If points are high then try to optimize it → If unsuccessful, then simply post the query on this forum, we will help to optimize.

Furthermore, will this “ Period is blocked ” status ever go away from my account or is some other action required from my side?

If you are blocked then ping our Telegram group

Thank you for all your feedback.

I think I’ve figured out the origin of my issues, I believe it is not really performance-related. I’ve made a new topic on that matter, you can see it here:

The query has been answered